The car fever touched its new heights by mid-70’s when major car manufacturers adopted a paradigm shift from crude looking models of 60’s to more sophisticated aero dynamic body shapes. The boxes were replaced by the curves. By the onset of 80’s, automobile giants in Japan, Germany and USA had already settled for the adaptable…
Is a Hybrid Car Right for You?
With gas prices on the rise and no end to the madness at the pump in sight, heading to the car lot and busting your budget on a new hybrid vehicle can be tempting. Although buying a hybrid is becoming a trend that you may be considering, understanding what a hybrid vehicle really is can be a vital aspect of discovering whether that new model is as good as it seems.
As going green, developing healthy habits and buying environmentally friendly products becomes increasingly popular with your friends and family, differentiating the simple trends with worthwhile choices can be difficult. When more than one source of power is used in a vehicle, it is referred to as a hybrid, highlighting the large number of options this may encompass as you hunt for a more efficient car. Most hybrid vehicles that are currently on the market use both electricity and gasoline to power the car, resulting in better fuel efficiency. In addition to using a combination of electricity and gas, most hybrids you see on the market are also smaller in size, with smaller engines that need less gasoline in contrast with other vehicles.
Although many hybrid cars do actually save when it comes to the fuel efficiency, the savings can sometimes be very minimal. While paying close attention to whether the hybrid car you are eying will provide true savings, both financially and environmentally, you must divert your focus to the actual benefits rather than the mere title: “hybrid.” Increases in fuel savings may be meager in comparison to the actual environmental impact and claims of hybrid makers. If money doesn’t grow on trees in your home, and buying the newest, true hybrid is not a real possibility, follow these simple tips to make your current car green.
1. Combine Trips: Planning ahead can help issue that your engine remains warm as you complete multiple tasks, saving on fuel and emitting fewer pollutants. A warm engine is much more efficient than a cool one that has been sitting.
2. Turn off the engine. When sitting, waiting, parking or staying still for longer than a few minutes, turning the engine off can save energy and pollution.
3. Lighten Your Load. Excessive weight in your trunk and passenger seats can leave your vehicle with unneeded weight that can sabotage your gas mileage, making your car work harder than it has to.
4. Keep cool. During hot summer months, try parking your car under trees or using shades in your windshield to help prevent the evaporation of fuel and prevent your car from having to work as hard once you blast that chilly AC. Take advantage of your garage or car port to provide protection for your vehicle during both winter and summer temperatures.
5. Fuel up smart. When heading to the pump, do so in the morning, evening or when temperature are cooler so that you can avoid gasoline evaporation that can occur during sweltering heat. In addition, avoid adding extra fuel to your vehicle once it clicks “full,” to avoid spills that can harm the environment and waste your money.
6. Maintain. Taking care of your vehicle and insuring that you get the recommended maintenance can help it run more efficiently, saving you gas and helping the environment. You may also be able to get a longer life out of a well-maintained vehicle.
7. Use your Cruise. Taking advantage of your car’s cruise control can be a smart way to save fuel, especially when traveling long distances. It may even save you as much at seven percent of your gas.
8. Oil Changes are Important. Maintaining fresh oil can help your car run more efficiently, saving you at the pump. Though changing your own oil can also save you some change, make sure to dispose of oil properly. Earth911.com is one website where you can uncover oil recycling services near you.